Saturday, December 5, 2009

the gentrification of the douche

Over the past few years the douche bag has developed into a lovable buddy character. He represents a dude slightly too into himself who frequents the gym and lingers at the mirror. People excuse his actions because he's a douche--that's just who he is. I believe psychologists call this "enabling." Essentially as a society we are allowing for this gentrification process--we are encouraging the rise of the douche as a standard member of a male entourage.

Frankly, I am not happy with this for many reasons. First of all who even likes a douche? Exactly, no one. No one actually wants to be friends with these guys, but for some reason they keep inviting them to hang out. I can't really explain that phenomenon so I'll use a canned answer: it's obviously an effect of modern movies and music videos that glorify the douche and make kids these days want to A.) be a douche or B.) be friends with a douche. Doesn't anyone realize that the douche will NEVER become a core member of the standard American friend group? The DB will never replace the token Asian or wheelchair kid as a member of the "perfect" group of friends. So seriously society, stop trying so hard to include him.

But more importantly the gentrification of the douche lessens the verbal impact of the word. When I call someone a douche bag, douche, or db (or scream it while driving), I do not want it to have the same effect as calling my girls whores. I want it to cut. I want it to offend. I want it to mean something bad.

All I'm asking is that as a society, we stop and really think about the effects of letting the douche rise into popular culture. Keep the douche down, keep him friendless, and you will save the douche bag. (and by "save the douche bag" I obviously mean the offensive connotations associated with the words.)

No comments:

Post a Comment