Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Post # 1: Cologne (and it's a good one)

Let's have a little chat called "how much cologne is appropriate?"



I often find myself wondering why some people wear so much cologne. I'm sure you too have wondered this in a crowded elevator, at the office, or on the subway--why do some people not understand the rules of scenting their bodies?



"How much is too much?" you might ask. For those of you questioning your cologne habits, you are in luck, because there is a clear line that can be crossed (or uncrossed, please!).



There are some people that use cologne as a little surprise for those that get exceptionally close to them during the day. I presume Johnny Depp wears his cologne this way. Bravo, A+



Then there are those that announce their presence with cologne, like an Abercrombie store at the mall. You know you are about to encounter them before you even turn the corner--your throat tickles, dries up a bit, and then they appear, just in time for you to cough and say hello.



This gentleman, though, is far from the worst. Let us discuss the transferer...The transferer is the man who, upon contact, somehow transfers his scent onto you. Weather it's a hug, a handshake, or an arm around the shoulder, there is no fighting it. Like a dog marking his territory, you become the secondary wearer of his cologne. You are forced to spend the remainder of the day wafting his smell with every movement of your body, and you pray no one thinks you smell like him for a reason.



But the worst cologne wearer of all is the REVENGE of the transferer...This man requires no contact with his victim, he simply needs to touch an object that will soon be touched by another person. For example, one morning when I was minding my own business, pumping gas, I got back into my car only to smell the strong scent of men's cologne. I started sniffing around until I realized that it was my hand polluting the car...MY OWN HAND. Let me remind you that this hand had been pure prior to touching the gas pump. Or perhaps another example, suits you: last night, after my suitcase was unloaded by the taxi driver, I wheeled it into my apartment. I washed my hands, sat on the couch, and touched my face--MY HAND SMELLED LIKE COLOGNE! "WTF!" I exclaimed! I ran to the sink and washed my hands again with lemon scented mirco-bead antibacterial soap, dried them quickly, placed my hand to my nose and inhaled...To my dismay, the smell of cologne was still there. You see, that is the horror of REVENGE of the transferer--no matter how hard you try and how many times you wash your hands, the smell remains...



In the words of contestants on my favorite game show, The Price is Right (Bob Barker not Drew Carey, please): THAT'S TOO MUCH!!



Next time you wear cologne, remember that not everyone else wants to wear it as well.

1 comment:

  1. i think it's only ok to smell like someone else's cologne after a one night stand...

    ReplyDelete